05 September 2008

Really it was out of consideration I threw sugar packets at you

Yes, this is what I did this week. Out of consideration for Ev's caretaker, I made instructions on a paper airplane and sailed it into the play area when the city workers came knocking on our door to say they needed all cars off the street for repaving NOW. Unfortunately my paper fighter jet was too stealth and glided into the room, under their noses, practically, unnoticed. In a fluster, I started lobbing sugar packets. Plip. Plop. plop plop.

"Uh, Steph, is that happening on purpose?" she asked.

"mmm, hmm." I hummed trying not to sound like me.

I don't think she was amused, but luckily, Louise found my note and was able to move her car.

The whole story tickled Paige and Graham when I retold it to them in the car moments later. We giggled and giggled.

Evelyn is just at such a Mommy-hungry stage that any time she sees me, she has to HAS TO be with me, on me and nothing else will do. It's nice to be loved, but I do like it when she is open to the whole circle of people and not just Mommy. Anyway, if I'd walked in the room she would have demanded me, which I would not have had time to do, and I'd leave her ticked off, crying again for the third time that morning, and Louise would have to do all the work to get her calm again. So to avoid all this, I simply avoid showing my face. Absolutely absurd but temporary. This is where we are, though. Sigh.

5 comments:

paula said...

Love that story, can just imagine you stood there lobbing stuff to try and get her attention. Ah yes, I remember that stage all too well, but as you know, it will soon pass and before you know it you will be collecting her from school and having her swan straight past you to talk to someone far more interesting ... ooops sorry, still smarting from the rejection of Luke yesterday.

Anonymous said...

I'm just curious...why do you refer to your child's nanny as her 'caretaker'. Is 'nanny' a nasty word?

Love your blog! You have a beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

Funny!! I remember doing the stealth check-in at the church nursery with the big boys. And Erik has never even noticed when I drop him off -- so happy to just be a social butterfly!

Don't know if I would have thought of the airplane though... Creative!

Josie

Unknown said...

Ah no. No harm in the word nanny. Probably just getting to creative with my prose. Sorry!

Brandy said...

Oh yes, my neighbor's little girl just got over the Mommy-hungry stage! They came over to visit a couple of months ago and my friend couldn't even put her dd down! Before her feet would even hit the floor, she'd be screaming and crying for Mommy!! :) My girls STILL have stages like this. I realized recently how much I'm really going to miss it when they get older!