05 December 2005

I am my mother's daughter

Check out how she taught me to sit and make sure my knees were together, and -- just in case -- put the hand there too! While you're at it, check out her amazing legs (she claims this skirt is too short, and is going to get the hem lowered after viewing this photo)

Other things I learned from my mom:
1. When Paige said I wasn't nice at Thanksgiving, I actually replied, "You don't have to like me, I'm your Mommy." or something equally shocking.

2. Two-year-olds are capable of using manners. It is the Mommy's job to make it happen.

3. You can go without sleep or food, but not both.

4. All the rules go out the window if the kid is sick.

5. Consistency.

6. Friends come and go. Family is with you for your whole life.

7. It is better to get your stuff ready at night (i.e. bag packed, clothes set out, lists made) than to leave it all for the morning and freak out.

8. If you don't find something on the first try, keep going around over and over. Retrace your steps. Chances are, you'll find it in a place you looked before, but sometimes not until the third or forth pass.

9. Tradition is important. Making lasting memories around birthdays, holidays and rites of passage really means more than you realize as it is happening. Years later, the beauty of the effort shines through.

10. There is always room for improvement. Keep stretching yourself.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! and all so true,Steph. you have a smashing Mom who knows all the 'tricks' :o)and gives good advice.xx

Vetmommy said...

Wow, that is an awesome and comprehensive list! I hear the one about "Friends come and go. Family is with you your whole life," in my head a lot, and know where it came from, but I didn't realize consciously about retracing my steps over and over! Its something I'm having to teach Anna daily, and requires lots of patience. On the other hand, Colin always seems to find the things he leaves behind.

Anonymous said...

It is a good list.
I remember many examples of her patience and strength. The neat thing is, she does all her good work so selflessly.

Anonymous said...

Mum taught me the retracing your steps one. Unfortunately for mum though I was the most impatient child ever in the whole world and would never look properly. I remember if I couldn't find something I would yell "mum!" and she would so patiently go looking with me and never got visibly stressed even though I am sure she was going out of her mind. She always found it for me. I did learn in the end though, promise!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Actually, do you know, when I go to her place and lose my car keys, she still always manages to find them before me, so maybe I haven't learned quite as well as I thought!! Hmmmm!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am truly humbled by this post! I laughed so hard at the picture that I cried! I had no idea we were both sitting in the limo like that! Kind of scary, eh? Glad you and Jenn like and remember some of my mantras and hope they don't drive you too crazy (as repeating in your head) when you least expect it! Love you, M

Emily said...

I remember Mommy having a knack for finding whatever it is we were looking for. I remember she'd tell me to look for it, and after I had looked and looked and was completely exasperated, she would calmly go where I had already looked and pull out the desired object.

Emily said...

Also, there's many good words of wisdom in your list. I also follow most of these.