This weekend, while Al had all three children playing happily in the driveway and I was painting the beam on the ceiling in the foyer (more on that later), I heard happy people talking in front of our house. I glanced their way as I descended the ladder to wipe up the dribbles of paint on the stone floor. I spied their large, black and white dog sniffing around my dying cyclamen. hmmm..I watched. Sure enough, rather than hike a leg on it, he chose the other option and deposited his stinkin mess just before they bid their goodbyes and resumed their jaunty little jog. All was right with the world to them, but I was fuming at the steaming heap in our little front yard. I went out and bagged it. I tried to cool off; I washed my brushes, the family joined me in the kitchen for a snack. I shared my angst. Al said, "Well, go do it if you want." after I explained how the urge to jump on my bike and bring them their baggie (mind you, degradeable baggie at that) full of steamin poo. So I did! After 2 miles, winded and doing Wicked-Witch-O-the-West loop-de-loos around the neighborhood, I caught them at the bend of two nearby streets. I dismounted my empty childseat-weilding bicycle and kicked down the kickstand.
"Hello there. Could you do me a favor?" I began with steamin' poo extended as olive branch.
"Sure." She says, unawares, taking the baggie.
"Would you please pick up after your dog?" Hands on hips more for oxygen intake than stance, still winded and smiling with parched lips.
"Well, our dog doesn't go on our outings."
"Yes, he did. I watched him. He went on my lawn. See we don't have much of a yard, the people who built our house didn't leave us much, and we have small children; that is where they play."
"Oh. Where is it that you live?" Ballsy lady says! I'm impressed, but undeterred...
"We live at the house on ****** where you stood outside and were chatting with your friends in their Cayenne."
"Oh okay." she had nothin left.
"Thank you." I remounted my bike and headed home for rehydration.
13 comments:
WOW- you are one brave mama! I am glad to have you on my side and will remember to keep it that way! Love your attitude! Nothing more gross that poop in the yard! Allison
did you recognize the people when you got closer? did they finally admit their dog did it? i would have loved seeing the look on their faces
Brave woman you are! If that had been me, I'd later be horrified to discover the woman was my child's new teacher next fall or the man was our new Sunday school teacher at church. I never seem to tell someone how it is without it coming back to bite me, no pun intended of course. ;)
Yes, I considered all those things and more, but in the end, I chose my words carefully and held them accountable. No more. No less. Even a future headmaster shouldn't have their dog pooping in neighbors yards.
My favorite part of the whole thing is the "my dog doesn't poop" comment. Is he toilet trained?
Good for you! And you got a workout into the bargain...
Josie
So I assume you didnt recognize these people?? Sounds like the lady was snotty
this is almost a Desperate HW's episode -- too funny
Love love love it!! The absolute nerve of some people. Irresponsible pet owners are my 'pet peeve'...and I work with animals every day.
Well done Steph! X
You make me proud of you,Steph. a Woman after my own Heart! I do things like that (you probably know) if I think I am right and it's 'fair do's) I tell people nicely and politely like you did and it does work as you proved,,,I am quite bouncing with glee..and we could do with you in Cheshire!!
A very proud Aunty Norma.xxx
Good for you Steph! We get that a lot with our house being on a corner lot off of 2 dead end streets...people and their dogs love to leave us presents on our lawn. I have called out to a few while standing stunned in my living room, or eating dinner in my dining room.
Lisasim
Okay... you've just touched on my biggest pet peeve. I have a dog. I also have baggies. EVERY time I walk my dog (which would be twice a day), I pick up his poop. NO ONE in my neighborhood does; in fact, a lady who just moved in down the street opens her garage door to let her little rat dog out without a leash to poop... in my yard. I ran her down a few weeks ago and called her out on it, and she acted like I was crazy. I am going to bring my ENTIRE family to poop on her porch. So there. This is Andrea, in case you couldn't guess.
I love your story - you've inspired me to do the same!
what do you think of OctopMom????
Post a Comment