07 June 2005

So little time, and so much to say...The end of a relationship

Anyone seen Crash? I really identified with the Sandra Bullock character. She realizes her housekeeper is her only true friend. I'm lucky enough to have a few good friends. But there is a person in my life with whom I have shared just about all my secrets. If there were any I didn't explicitly tell her (in my broken Spanish), I'm pretty sure she was able to find them anyway. Because there is no way to hide anything from the person who sees your dirty laundry, really. And don't get me started on what can be gleaned from taking out your trash.

Mireya came to work for me before we had children. She was the only person in my house the morning after my miscarriage. She gives great hugs. Graham will definitely be a breast man after spending so many comfy moments enveloped in her bosom.

She organized everything. She has a way of putting all my junk in such pretty, neat stacks that it makes me feel all fresh. Once when I was puking uncontrollably in the night, and fearing that I could not take care of my children since Al was out of town, she came and took care of ALL of us. She couldn't find a heating pad, so she nuked a tortilla and placed it on my belly. I'll never forget the smell of her that night. She was cinnamon. I was bile.

She taught me Spanish, most of what I know is from her. I'd like to say I taught her English, but she didn't really try to learn more than a few key words. She loves my kids. She loves them so much that one day she picked through Paige's poop--concerned--and wanted to show me the odd object, which turned out to be a benign pumpkin seed.

She took advantage of my kindness. I have always encouraged her to put her kids first. Year after year, I have modified and reduced her hours to accomodate their schedules. She has missed countless days to tend to them. That I can stomach. What I cannot abide is being uninformed.

Last week she no-showed and did not call for several days. We were all sick. EVERY LAST ONE OF US. She chose to wait until this Monday to speak to me in person, and sheepishly, with a quivering lip said, she knows I'm "enojado" and so maybe she shouldn't work here anymore. I said that was her choice, and she made that decision. I felt like she wanted to make me be the bad guy, you know? The heartless white woman, who doesn't put her family first like hispanics do. She knows me better than that. I told Graham to say goodbye to her, he gave her a kiss and said, "bye bye". Paige was sick and grumpy and refused. I hugged her. "Tu me llamas." I said in my not-perfect-but-understandable Spanish.

I hope she learns that sometimes putting your family first means being accountable at work. You have to feed them, clothe them and give them a stable environment. I worry that she won't have that anymore.

4 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Man, what a painfully sad and eloquent post. I'm sorry to se Mireya go, too. People aren't all good or all bad, they are complicated. Sorry you guys have to go through this.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that brings eye-dampness!

Mireya was a good person to have around in many ways. She sure impressed me with her care for the twins.

She had a good deal at the Walker's house and she will miss all the extra care you all provided for her and her family. It will be hard to replace.

Did she ever tell you what happened with the no-show?

Good Luck Mireya.

Emily said...

Oh, I'm sorry, Steph. I know it is hard to see her go, even though you knew the relationship has been changing for awhile. We will all miss her and wish her well.

Anonymous said...

I felt something from her in the hug she gave me just before your Dad went on his cruise. She gave us all alot of her love but we all move on and now was her time. I am sad for you but ... it will pass and you will survive. Tough lessons- uh? Love you so much!!!! M