25 August 2009

Taking my crazy liberal, crunchy granola side out for a stroll tonight

When did commodity corn turn into something so remotely UNLIKE a foodstuff that it could be made into a "plastic" cup, and why am I not excited to drink from one or think it is eco-friendly? We all know it takes an absurd amount of fossil fuels to harvest/pesticide-bomb these crops, right?

I like my fossil fuels, don't get me wrong, but it is a quantified commodity. I want them for my clean-ish burning Audi diesel engine (yes, that is until we jump paths likely around the time this transmission gives way or a few years later when my children are grandparents and find a new way of running things because we'll eventually be out of petroleum products), I do not see the benefit of using them for resin household planters or the creation of seemingly "green" disposable foodwares.

I'm holding out a remote hope that this blog entry will warrant a reply from other people with Deep Thoughts, say, my b.i.l. Anthony. And, Norma, you should plan a trip to Houston, really, just make it Jan - Mar so you won't faint.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all,my lovely Steph. I agree with you over the 'plastic' moan! ...and secondly.. the last time I visited Texas it nearly burnt me to a crisp..with my specs slipping down my little button nose :) and wearing 'flip flops' (which weren't in fashion at the time)it was sheer murder to a Lass from the cool English Countryside..but I never say never so one day I WILL come again if you promise me that it will be cooler than the temps. our Jennifer is having at the moment. :)

A.Norma.x

Vetmommy said...

So apparently Anthony has no deep thoughts!

Vetmommy said...

Hey, so I just read this article and made me think of this post of yours.

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/health/Our_oceans_are_turning_into_plastic_are_we_2.php

For sure, growing corn on an industrial level has a serious impact, but at least the corn based fork will degrade in 50 years, whereas the plastic one would still be floating around the ocean, even if it is in little nurdles. Of course, growing that corn requires tons of nitrogen fertilizer (also petroleum based) which runs off and causes dead zones in the Mississippi Delta -- still harming the ocean. Maybe the choice is the bambu tableware you gave me last year for my birthday. Or just eat take out with chopsticks, either renewable bamboo, or the fancy reusable ones you brought from home.

Deep, oceanic thoughts.