02 February 2006

Packing roots with ice and other silliness

It's true, this past weekend they packed the roots of the azalea bushes at the Bayou Bend with tons and tons of crushed ice to coerce them to wait a little longer before blooming. This balmy weather is foiling the big Garden Club fundraiser, The Azalea Trail, which is set to occur in mid-March. Meanwhile I can see all the buds are formed and growing on my azaleas. Poor little bushes, they can't help it, it feels like spring! It's CALIENTE around here. The mosquitoes are in full force, too.

Graham is letting me know he does not need a nap any more. He hollers very matter-of-factly, "No nappy time Mommy. I not sleepy. I whining. Come get me. I go downstairs. I go doooooooooownstaaayers, Mommy. Wit you, Mommy. Come get me!" It's hard not to laugh.

Paige is speaking full-out grown up English. She brought me a half-eaten scone and said, "I'm all done with this." Well I was making meatballs, so I told her, "Honey my hands are covered in meat, just put it on the counter." so she looked around, picked a spot and said, "How 'bout right here, Mommy?" and then she moved on, "I want some music. Some Paigie music. Some country music. Let's dance, Grahamie Boy." So we all did. She says her favorite song is the Grundy County Auction (aka Sold by John Michael Montgomery). It'll get you on your feet!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! No more Grahamie nap time! Do you go get him when he starts whinning or does he finally fall asleep?

And how grown up does Paigie sound!?! Whew!

Love-Bevie-

Anonymous said...

hahahahaaha what a laugh,Steph. Heck,I remember all that happening to me ...I really do (hands covered in meat or flour and the child needs something NOW!! :o) xx

Emily said...

I like that he tells you "I'm whining" in case you couldn't figure that one out!

Vetmommy said...

Graham sounds like Anna did at that age, "We are too busy, we don't have time for a nap today!"

Anonymous said...

Cute! My kids try to get out of naps but I just put a gate in their doorways and make them stay in there and play quietly alone and then they usually fall asleep. Can't live without naptime!

My kiddos are huge "kickers" too. LOL They loooove country music.

Anonymous said...

Please don't tell me the naptime will end soon, please no!!! It is the only way I can get my ironing done and to have a cuppa in peace. Would love to see little Paige having a dance - how cute!!! Luke tends to bend down and wiggle his bum in the air doing a kind of "twist". He has taken to doing it in the supermarket aisle to lessen his obvious boredom.