12 May 2010

Eh, sonny? and other nits and bits

I really totally stink at blogging lately. I know people are still out there looking for blog posts from me, but I haven't kept up as well as I'd like. Mostly, this is due to this being my first April/May with three children in three schools. Throw in some travel, IT issues, a puppy and a massive offshore rig catastrophe and my proverbial goose is cooked.

So what is the latest? Well, this week felt a bit like drinking from a firehose. The school events, volunteering and shuttling of wee folk have me constantly in the car and dashing around. Monday, in traffic, the twins cornered me into revealing the inevitably disheartening news that Graham will not be going to Paige's school but continuing on at his school. Tears ensued. Burgers followed, as did a lovely bedtime story and a tuck in where he resolutely asked:
"Mommy, can we try every year?"
Me: "You mean for XXX school, Grahamie? Yes, yes we can." My tummy felt like it was punched and he was such a superstar for coming to such a will-not-be-defeated conclusion in just 1 1/2 hrs of digesting the news.

In other news, we went to the doctor's office today for Graham's allergy related sinus/ear congestion. The world's best pediatrician, Dr. Cook, used humor and an Elephant Ear Wash system to remove a TREMENDOUS amount of compacted ear wax from Graham's ears. I was disgusted and elated at the same time. I almost wanted to save the output because it was so truly unbelievable. I have been diligently washing out Graham's ears with Debrox to no avail. This was, at the risk of hyperbole, the motherlode of earwax (think, since I am forcing you to have a visual on this lovely topic and it might as well be accurate, more than a pencil eraser amount in each little Kindergartener ear). After flushing it all out, Graham exclaimed, "Mom, everything is so LOUD!" No kidding buddy, you've been living with earplugs on. As we walked through the parking lot, it continued. "Mom, the wind is so loud." We giggled and he was hyperstimulated by everything. Poor baby. I told him I'd missed him and he laughed and convulsed with his hands over his ears. Oh jeez!

Paige caught lice from her schoolmates this week. This was my first foray into the world of head parasites.There is some place in Houston where you can take your child and pay something like $300 to remove every last nit. Well, you know me, I'm a DIY girl, even when it comes to bugs. Last night was slated to be my moms' night out, so I joked with Paige as I diligently picked through her locks that she owed me $300 and a margarita. "I can make lemonade, Mommy." she said. "Close enough," I replied. We laughed and gave it one more look-over before dousing her head with tea tree ointment and sending her to her now sanitized bed for the night. I did make it in time to enjoy a couple hours with my friends regardless.



Evelyn rejoiced at the return of the grandparents today from their sojourn to Florida. My mom took her for the morning while I readied the room for Paige's class "Authors' Tea" where the Kindergarteners read their own original stories. When I can home today, Evelyn was literally hoping through the air, singing with her chin held high. All is right with her world.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Nice recap post! Sounds like life has been busy, if that's not too much of an understatement.
Bravo to Graham for taking the sad news in stride. And the ear wax situation sounds incredible. Makes you wonder what he's been missing, doesn't it?
I'm sure you did a completely thorough job with the lice. Ick. I've done that before for a good friend's child. And Paige is so sweet to offer to make lemonade!
Evie and her grandparents have a special relationship, since they've been there from her birth. It's really sweet to see/hear.
Can't wait to see you all!!!

Anonymous said...

Steph. Uncle Noel had same thing happen to him years ago(when he was in the Navy) he just couldn't believe how much wax had come out! but I'm telling you this because he was told it is with going swimming and showering without ear plugs! the wax builds up to protect your ears! oh, and one more strange thing hahaha nits like CLEAN HAIR!! xx :(


A.Norma.xx

Vetmommy said...

Well, for not posting for so long you certainly made up for it. Your description of GB reminds me of when I first got glasses, how I was amazed at how much I was missing and I didn't even know was there! Good stubborn, red-headed determination in that one. Sorry for all of you that next year won't be just 2 schools.

Oh, and does PK want some frontline or revolution? JK!

Anonymous said...

When there was an outbreak of lice in the boys school I was told by my hairdresser to spritz them with hairspray every morning before I sent them in -- she said the lice really don't like "dirty" hair, and the spray helps repel them. Hope they're gone for good!! (I'm creepy crawly just thinking about them...)

Josie