13 July 2007

It's Twins Again at our house!

No, not the human kind this time, but nonetheless a marvel. We are delighted to see these two in our magnolia tree this week:








Graham has named them. This is a big deal, because for reasons unknown to me, my kids aren't big on naming dolls, animals, etc. At first, when I suggested we should name them, Graham said no, they are owls. Call them owls, Mommy. But then after one fluttered down to the ground and Graham dutifully watched and encouraged him to make his way up a leaning tree, he decided a name was in order. That's Mr. Fluffernutter.

Mr. Fluffernutter is a young child's literary allusion to the book Auntie Emily sent Graham for his birthday. It is a gold medal winner around here. The title is "Skippyjon Jones" by Judy Schachner.

So of course, if you've read the book, you might guess that the sibling owlet is named Cocopugs.

There is always a parent elsewhere in the tree. These owl parents are the strong silent type. I have enjoyed watching their unflinching stares and seeing the owlets respond to them by fluttering and hopping from branch to branch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness they are cute! I just brought Madeline out of bed to look at them.
Lisasim

get2eric said...

Oh Boy, I can't wait to see them tomorrow. They may even interrupt my Saturday crossie!

Cindy said...

Wow! What wonderful pictures, and how fascinating to be able to watch them! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

That is so neat, and I love Skippyjon Jones. I enjoy reading it out loud to the kids and doing all the voices.

Vetmommy said...

Such downy cuteness! I hope everything is OK today after the tragedy :-(

Emily said...

What tragedy?
Great pics of your owls. I'm glad Graham is inspired by the book.